Promise Neighborhood Overview
The Harlem Children's Zone set the bar for creating a system for ending the cycle of poverty by addressing the needs of the entire community.
Here in South Philadelphia, Universal Companies is taking a page from our brothers in Harlem, but transforming it to reflect the unique needs and spirit of our City. We are starting with two schools in the Grays Ferry/Point Breeze communities that will become our Promise Neighborhood.
We will be reaching out and connecting with the other schools in our Promise Neighborhood:
- Alcorn K-8 School
- McDaniel Elementary School
- Girard Elementary (K-4) School
- Universal Institute Charter School
- Smith K-8 School
- Childs K-8 School and Barrett School (8th Grade Only)
- Stanton K-8 School
- Arthur K-8 School
We will work to help all our children:
- Stay on the academic track
- Achieve 100% graduation from high school by 2020
- Score at/or above regional and national academic achievement levels
- Head to college or trade school or enter the job market
Our schools will no longer be buildings that close at the end of the day. They will be community centers where parents can obtain social services, medical services and advice about healthcare and nutrition. We are a team -- parents, teachers, administrators, family members and children. Together we can make a difference in the lives of our community and fulfill our promise to build a better future.
To get involved, contact Raheem Islam Jr.